Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Anyone Can Cook

I know that there are a lot of people out there that believe that they cannot cook and are incapable of learning.  It is important to understand that even the finest of cooks had to begin somewhere; that they were not born with the knowledge of flavors, textures and what to do with them.  Somewhere along the way, someone introduced them to the concept of cooking.  They became passionate about food and enjoy being creative in the kitchen.

I don't remember the very first thing I ever cooked; but it seems I have been in the kitchen my whole life.  I can remember at a very early age learning to clean fresh shrimp and clean frog legs.  I could not have been more than age 5.  Oh don't worry.  I am not going to suggest you go catch a frog and cook it.  I too prefer a big plate of pasta to frog legs. My point is, there are many possible things out there to cook; you just need to decide what you want to try and jump in with both feet.

Some dishes you will attempt to cook will be perfection and some will be a disaster.  It happens to the best of us and it is important to remember everyone has off days. Don't get frustrated and give up; you can learn as much from a meal that is a flop as you can from food cooked to perfection. 

"So where do I start?" You might ask.  Think of something you would like to try and cook, ask your mom for a recipe.  She will love that you thought to consult her even if you decide not to use her suggestions it will make her feel good.  Look online, yes there are thousands of websites dedicated to providing you with recipes.  I would like to inject a warning here.  Just because it is online and on a recipe website does not necessarily mean in is a good recipe.  So if you try something and it does not turn out the way you expected.  Don't give up.  It could be the recipe was bad to begin with.  I suggest you look at several recipes, compare them and then choose one that is similar to others.  You might even read the comments about the recipe and see what others have to say about it. 

If you need help or have questions there are even websites that you can post questions and get very quick responses from helpful cooks.  You can always post here on my blog or I have listed some of my favorite Facebook pages over on the left hand side of my blog site where you can find answers within minutes.

So why did I title this post "Anyone Can Cook"?  I honestly believe if your stomach is telling you it is time to eat and you have the desire to feed it, you can just as easily go in the kitchen and fix yourself a quick meal as you can go out and spend three times as much at a restaurant.  You just have to make the choice to do so.

I will begin listing recipes with pictures and step by step instructions so you can always look on my page to see if there is something there you want to make.  I keep my meals typically simple and they usually take less than 30 minutes to make. Feel free to try anything I post and let me know how you liked my recipe good or bad.  Feedback is always useful when you are trying to become a better cook.

Try to remember even the best Chefs in the world at one point in time did not know how to cook and if they can do it, why not us?

"Happy Cooking"!

No comments:

Post a Comment